Buford's Bridge developed as early as the 1790s, making it the oldest community in present-day Bamberg County. William Buford built a bridge and ferry operation here crossing the Salkehatchie River. The spot was well positioned between two major intersections; one from Walterboro to the Barnwell Court House and the other from Orangeburg to the Savannah River. The settlement quickly developed, and is recorded as having several residences, four stores, two taverns, a boarding house, Masonic Lodge, and Mizpah Methodist Church by the 1850s. The turmoil of the Civil War reached here in early February of 1865, as Federal troops took down many structures in the area to use as materials for building bridges (Confederates had previously burned Burford's Bridge to stall the Union advancement).
Published by: SCNHC Categories: Top 12 Forgotten Landmarks 2015, The Civil War, Day Trips